The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) and Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM) have compiled resources to help counter vaccine hesitancy, misinformation and disinformation.
Vaccination Information Sessions.
Below are unedited recordings of virtual information sessions with staff and students, for your viewing.
- 13 April 2021 - Information session
- 13 April 2021 - Information session
- The European Vaccination Information Portal takes it back to basics with this fact-based introduction to COVID-19.
- Based at the IDM, Eh!woza, which operates at the intersection of public engagement, youth education, advocacy, and skills development explains how vaccines protect, and the use of mRNA/Viral Vector Vaccines with two animated videos.
- The Vaccines Alliance offers the latest news, info about the vaccine race, and what’s currently under development.
- Dr Paul Offit from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia explains how COVID-19 vaccines work based on messenger RNA technology.
- The South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative, based at the IDM, has created a video guide to clinical trials.
- A conversation between Mark Zuckerberg and Dr Anthony Fauci (American physician and immunologist) offering insights into vaccine technology.
- In this video Dr Paul Offit from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia addresses safety concerns considering the speedy vaccine development.
- The European Vaccination Information Portal illustrates the regulations monitoring COVID-19 vaccine safety.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides a closer look at the evaluation of the mRNA vaccine.
- Johns Hopkins University & Medicine’s Research & Development is asking how vaccine development can be done both quickly and safely.
- A New England Journal of Medicine article on the Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine.
- A New England Journal of Medicine article on the Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine.
- An explainer from Wellcome on: How have Covid-19 vaccines been made quickly and safely?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has compiled Vaccines and immunization Q&As addressing What vaccination is and Vaccine safety.
- A broad spectrum of answers to common questions from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia including; COVID-19, vaccines, and queries about pregnancy and breastfeeding.
FAQs Vaccination Videos
- EVDS Self Registration Portal User Manual
- National Department of Health Vaccine Toolkits & Resources
- How do I access a vaccine?
- Western Cape Government COVID-19 Vaccination Page
- Circular no H13 of 2021 from the Western Cape Government: Guideline for Health Worker Registration on the EVDS Self-Registration System
- National Institute for Communicable Diseases COVID-19 Frequetly Asked Questions
- Canadian-based CANVax equips public health professionals with access to a resource centre focused on vaccine acceptance and uptake.
- The HIV Vaccine Trials Network has curated a CoVPN Community Engagement Materials Menu - Password: CoVPNTria!$
- Vaccinate Your Family has curated Information and Resources on COVID-19 and the current vaccines.
- The WHO’s guide on How to respond to vocal vaccine deniers in public.
- Wellcome has created a COVID-19 vaccines: information hub - a quick collection of simple resources.
- The New England Journal of Medicine has created a COVID-19 Vaccine Resource Center.
- Groundup and Spotlight staff have put together this COVID-19 and vaccines: Questions and answers page.
- VALIDATE, the VAccine DeveLopment for complex Intracellular neglecteD paThogEns, has developed an outreach guide to engaging with the public.
- This British Society for Immunology webinar is part of a series and looks at COVID-19 vaccine conversations: effective ways of engaging with the public.
- The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation presents the Zimele Project Dissemination Webinar series which is available here.
- The Perinatal Mental Health Project, based at the University of Cape Town's Centre for Public Mental Health, has developed messages as part of the Messages for Mothers coalition.
- World Health Organization (WHO) video on how vaccines work.
- Vaccine Information Sessions
- Professor Thomas Scriba, deputy director at the South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative, relies on evidence to tackle vaccine hesitancy and misinformation.
- According to Dr Heidi Larson, the founder of the Vaccine Confidence Project, dispelling vaccine hesitancy has trust-building at its root.
- Health feedback which relies on scientists to sift fact from fiction published an article addressing the concern of the COVID-19 vaccine altering DNA.
- An interim analysis of randomised controlled trials published in The Lancet.
- A collection of articles and other resources from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Senior Research Officer at the Vaccines For Africa Initiative (VACFA) based at the IDM, Dr Benjamin Kagina, answers a few questions about vaccine availability in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Co-authored by Professor Shey Wiysonger, Project Manager at VACFA and Chief Research Officer at the UCT, this piece takes a look at the possible impact of anti-vaccination views on immunisation in the country.
- Professors Linda-Gail Bekker, the deputy director of the University of Cape Town’s (UCT) Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, and Valerie Mizrahi, the director of the IDM explain why the more people who take the vaccine the better off the country will be both in terms of health and socio-economically.
- Vaccine experts from UCT's Faculty of Health Sciences offer an explainer called How we know vaccines are safe and effective.
The South African Variant
- Details about the Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Demonstrates 89.3% Efficacy in UK Phase 3 Trial are available here.
- Details about the Johnson & Johnson Announces Single-Shot Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Met Primary Endpoints in Interim Analysis of its Phase 3 ENSEMBLE Trial are available here.
- Read about the Phase I Trial of Novel COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in South Africa led by CIDRI-Africa.
- 11 February 2022: UCT Faculty of Health Sciences affirms the science of vaccinology – challenges misinformation
- 8 January 2021: Faculty of Health Sciences’ Statement on COVID-19 vaccine access in South Africa
- 9 February 2021: Health Personnel and Students: Mandatory registration on the vaccine platform (EVDS)
- 15 February 2021: IDM COVID-19 Vaccine Resource page
- 18 February 2021: Faculty Vaccination Update
- 1 March 2021: Faculty Vaccination Update