The University of Cape Town, Regional Office: Canada, is one of the four international offices, set up to maintain relations with alumni worldwide by -
- Organising networking opportunities that foster professional and social contacts amongst alumni of the University of Cape Town;
- Promoting the University of Cape Town, its faculties, staff, students and alumni;
- Providing a conduit for Canadian tax efficient donations to UCT in response to fundraising initiatives from the Canadian office and appeals sent out by the University from time to time.
In Canada, the University of Cape Town holds the Canadian status as a ‘prescribed university’ under Section 118.1 of the Canadian Income Tax Act (Schedule VIII, item No. 19). As a qualified donee, donations made directly to the University of Cape Town are eligible for Canadian tax credits.
As of 1 January 2011 the UCT Foundation (1993 – 2010) is no longer able to accept donations.
Presently the Canadian Alumni Bursary in MBChB and the Canadian Alumni Bursaries in postgraduate study are awarded each year from funds raised by Canadian alumni. Other areas of support are in line with UCT’s set priorities, and posted on the UCT Canada website. Here you will also find a downloadable donation/pledge form, and a link for online donations in Canada.
The Regional Office: Canada organises alumni events in all the main centres of Canada where there is interest and a critical mass. Events are held regularly in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. The regional office is available to assist regions with arranging events that will have relevance to UCT or its alumni. Feel free to contact the co-ordinators listed below, or contact Di Stafford, Regional Director, directly.
Richard Cohen ; Tel (h) 604 984 8480
Still to be established. c/o Regional office, Toronto
Di Stafford, Regional Director: Development & Alumni Relations;
Phone: 416 648 5801
Benefits of Alumni participation:
- Build your business network amongst alumni living in Canada and newcomers;
- Stay in touch with fellow alumni who shared the UCT experience;
- Access stimulating lectures and presentations by speakers on current topics of interest;
- Attend informal alumni social events;
- Stay abreast of UCT developments on the global front;
- Maintain an active affiliation to your alma mater and its respected international reputation;
- Make use of business networking opportunities