Postgraduate Health Sciences Student Council
“Dedicated to serving as the representative body for post-graduate students by networking, and connecting the students to the Health Sciences Faculty”
The Postgraduate Health Sciences Student Council (PG HSSC) represents postgraduate students at the faculty level in the form of postgraduate councils and at the university level as an executive committee. These structures participate actively in various faculty and university decision-making bodies.
Simply put, our mission as active members of the PG HSSC is to ensure that all the postgraduates that we represent have the most fulfilling time possible for the duration of their studies at the University of Cape Town. This means creating an environment in which collective concerns can be addressed, enabling us to have a say in the decisions made regarding our academic development, as well as creating a strong postgraduate community.
What we do
The PG HSSC continues to be the most active of the faculty councils within the university. Our activities include:
- The Annual Postgraduate Welcome Function
- Academic Networking Opportunities
- Social Functions: MAC Pub Quiz
- Interdepartmental Soccer Tournaments
- Karaoke Evenings
- Wine Tasting Evenings
- Academic Workshops: Writing, referencing and funding workshops
- Representation on Faculty and University committees such as: Faculty Board Animal Ethics Committee Human Research Ethics Committee The Teaching and Learning Committee
- Addressing student issues by accessing the appropriate channels
Facilities available for Postgraduate Students
- Medical Alumni Club (MAC): Bar, braai and seminar facilities for postgraduate students, postdoctoral fellows and staff. This venue is available for private functions. Opening Times: Friday, 4pm-8pm.
- Postgraduate Computer Centre: sponsored by MSD, this centre has 24 computers for use by postgraduate students at all times - swipe card access is provided for all postgraduate students registered within the faculty.
- Postgraduate Suite: Adjoined to the MAC, used for seminars and functions.
- Wolfson Pavilion: Postgraduate and staff cafeteria.
- Squash Courts: ideal for a quick game to de-stress during the day
- Swimming Pool: just down the road at UCT Middle Campus
- Satellite Postgrad Centre at GSH: for students based at the hospital
- UCT Jammie Shuttles: for UCT students to the various residences and UCT campuses
- Postgraduate Funding Office: catch a Jammie Shuttle to upper campus, (the PGFO is located on level 3 of the Otto Beit Building), where many helpful officers are available to assist you with the acquisition of funding.