Date: starts 14 August 2023
Venue: 12-month e-learning course with contact sessions
Time: refer to full programme
This short course will equip healthcare and counselling professionals to effectively and compassionately communicate with cancer patients and families along the continuum of cancer care.
The course requires 48 hours of self-directed study (12 modules) over a period of 12 months plus 14 contact hours (12 local tutorials). In addition, there will be 6 case studies presented via webinars. The course is a joint collaboration offered by the Division of Family Medicine and the Department of Radiation Oncology and is presented on the University of Cape Town's Vula e-learning platform.
Now only: UCT Registrars: No Fee
External Registrars: R2,500
CPD points = 30 | Level 1
Ethics = 3 | Level 1
Entry requirements: Registered with a health professional body as a medical doctor.
- Module 1: Principles of Palliative Medicine in Oncology
- Module 2: Communication skills, Basic principles
- Module 3: Communication skills: Breaking bad news and building hope
- Module 4: Communication skills: Conversations around serious illness and care planning
- Module 5: Communication skills: Managing conflict
- Module 6: Symptom management: Pain
- Module 7: Symptom management: Gastrointestinal symptoms
- Module 8: Symptom management: Dyspnoea and delirium
- Module 9: Symptom management: Constitutional and treatment related symptoms in Cancer
- Module 10: End of Life Care
- Module 11: The integration of Oncology and Palliative care to provide comprehensive care (spirituality, bereavement, and teamwork)
- Module 12: Self Care
A Certificate of Completion and CPD points will be issued to participants on successful completion of the course.
The South African Framework and Policy on Palliative Care in 2017 states that palliative care must be taught to all health care professionals working in areas with a high burden of palliative care thus this course is aimed at all specialist trainees and specialists who interact with cancer patients.
For more information or to register email email@example.com. Closing date is Monday 7 August 2023.