Please note: This training course is aimed at Windows-users.
Dates: 7 to 8 September 2023 (Thursday to Friday)
Venue: UCT Faculty of Health Sciences (Computer Lab)
Time: 09h00 to 16h00
Course fee is R 3 000 per person
In this short course, you will be introduced to the NVivo14 software. This is a hands-on course in which you are expected to work on your own data during the session. Please contact the lecturers if don't have your own data and we can assist you.
The training will take place in a computer lab where the software will already be installed.
This course is intended for researchers (from all disciplines):
- Working with: Qualitative data (interviews, focus groups, field notes, documents, visual and audio data)
- Who: Preferably have a background in or experience in qualitative research methodology
- Who want to: use NVivo for managing and coding their data (following general qualitative principles of content, thematic, or narrative analysis, or other similar approaches)
- Who: have no or little experience with NVivo, but who are interested in using it for research they are currently conducting.
At the end of the course participants will have learnt and practised:
- Theory: Basic theoretical foundations for QDA, including rigour strategies, and commonly used analytic strategies
- Importing (Setting-up an NVivo project): import, manage and organise different types of data
- Organising (Using basic analysis features of NVivo): create, organise and adapt parent and child codes; create, organise and link annotations and memos; create and use case classifications and attributes.
- Exploring (Using basic explorative features): Use word frequency and text search functions, as well as basic visual illustrative techniques (i.e. mind maps)
NVivo does not analyze qualitative data for the researcher but rather can enhance the researcher’s analytical capacity by providing the means to efficiently store, sort and look for patterns in diverse forms of data. Training in NVivo is not a substitute for qualitative research training.
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued to participants of the course.
For more information or to register email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only participants registered for the workshop will be eligible to attend. Course fees are subject to change.