BSc Occupational Therapy UWC
Rabia Hassam graduated with her BSc in Occupational Therapy in 2005 from the University of Western Cape. She then completed her community service year at Dr George Mukhari Hospital in Limpopo Province. She has 10 years of experience working with individuals with multiple diagnoses within NGOs before working at UCT as a clinical educator in the physical health domain, with a total of 17 years of experience working as an OT.
- She was a trainer for the Hambisela programme training 106 caregivers in Cape Town regarding Cerebral Palsy.
- She is a qualified seating therapist. (Basic, intermediate and advanced training from WCRC)
- She is trained to use the Low Arousal Approach as well as sexuality for individuals with multiple disabilities
- She has experience working with individuals with multiple disabilities and challenging behaviour
- She engaged in community outreach projects in the rural North of Malawi for one month in 2018
Areas of Interest
Physical Health specifically individuals with severe to profound disability
Current Research Projects
Working on creating resource manual/ app regarding low budget assistive devices for our African context