Prof Mpiko Ntsekhe
Division of Cardiology
Mpiko Ntsekhe BA., MPhil., MD., PhD., FCP (SA)., Cert Cardio (SA)., FACC., MASSAf
Mpiko Ntsekhe is the current Hellen and Morris Mauerberger Professor and Chair of Cardiology at the University of Cape Town, and Head of the Cardiac Clinic at Groote Schuur Hospital. He holds degrees from Brown University, Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons and UCT. He is a past SA Heart Vice-President, the current Vice-President South of the Pan African Society of Cardiology, and occupies leadership roles and/or scientic committee roles at EuroPCR, AfricaPCR, Cardiology Nephrology and Diabetes at the Limits and a member of the ESC Working Group on Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases.
Ntsekhe is Director of the Mayosi Collaborative Clinical Trials Unit (Investigator Led) and the Cardiac Clinic Clinical Research Unit research interests include: (1) the impact of communicable diseases on the cardiovascular system and its treatment; (2) pericardial disease; and (2) the conduct of clinical trials to test innovative and novel interventions aimed at improving outcomes in patients with cardac disease that are prevalent in sub-Saharan Africa. He is an NRF rated clinician-scientist with an H-index > 30, and a established publication track record and research output. He has been recognized by the Academy of Sciences of South Africa, the SA MRC and UCT College of Fellows for his contributions to cardiovascular science.
- Director-Mayosi Collaborative Clinical Trials Unit
- Affiliate Member Institue of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine (IDM)
- Contributing Investigator Center for Infectiuos Disease Research In Africa (CIDRI Africa)
- Contributing Investigator SAMRC Platform for Pharmacogenomics
- Contributing Investigator SAMRC Intersection of NCDs and Infectious Diseases
- Contributing Investigator Sturrock Resarch Group