1. Pregnancy Counselling Clinic
There is a clinic at Groote Schuur Hospital (GSH) each Wednesday morning aimed at prenatal diagnosis and counselling. It is in collaboration with the Fetal medicine service of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
2. Adult Genetic Clinic
- Neurogenetics Clinic: 1st Thursday of each month in collaboration with the Neurology at GSH.
- General Genetic Clinic: 2nd Friday of each month at GSH. We offer diagnostic management and counselling of suspected or confirmed genetic disorders.
- Cancer Genetic Counselling Clinic: 3rd Friday of each month, clinic at GSH. We offer diagnostic management and counselling for families with a strong family history of cancer.
- Cardiogenetics Clinic: Diagnostic service and counselling are available in conjunction with cardiology.
3. Childhood Genetic Clinic:
Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital
- Paediatric Genetic Clinic: Wednesday and Thursday afternoons each week. We offer diagnostic management and counselling of suspected or confirmed genetic disorders.
- Paediatric Cardiogenetic Clinic: 2nd Thursday of the month. We offer diagnostic management and counselling of suspected or confirmed cardiac conditions that can be inherited.
- Genetic counselling is available for all individuals and families affected by diagnostic conditions
- Monthly clinics are offered at Victoria and Somerset hospitals. Outreach to LSEN schools and to George hospital as determined by need.
Inpatient consultations are available for referral hospitals. Referrals for in and outpatient consultations should please be made via the VULA mobile app. We require a health care professional referral and do not accept patient self-referral. This app can be freely downloaded and is a secure patient information portal endorsed by Western Cape Health. You will find us under the institution tab as University of Cape Town, Human Genetics.
Telephonic and email consultation with Healthcare professionals is available.
- For Paediatric Clinics 021-658 5002
- For Adult Clinics 021 -4046235 / Genetic doctor on call 021 4049111
- General enquiries 021 -4046235 / Genetic doctor on call 021 4049111