Group Leader: Sabelo Hadebe
PhD (University of Aberdeen) and Post-Doctoral Training (MRC National Institute of Medical Research/Francis Crick Institute; University of Cape Town)
Phone Number: N/A
Office Address: Room 3.25, Falmouth Bld
We are interested in allergic diseases including allergic asthma, eczema and associated co-morbidities. Our main research focus is on mechanisms of allergic diseases and early development of severe asthma. We use experimental mouse models, transgenic and cell-specific gene-deficient mice to decipher these mechanisms. We mainly focus on interleukin 4 receptor alpha (IL-4Râº), a key regulator of type 2 immunity. In steroid resistant asthma, we combine early lung development with neonatal immunology. We also collaborate with clinicians to have direct translation of our basic research to human diseases.
Group members: Frank Kirstein (Ph.D, Honoury Research Associate), Jermaine Khumalo (Ph.D. submitted, Post-Doctoral Fellow), Martyna Scibiorek (MSc, Ph.D. Candidate), Amkele Ngomti (BSc Hons, NRF internship/ MSc candidate), Vareesh Maney (MSc, potential Ph.D. candidate).
Collaborations: Prof Frank Brombacher (ICGEB/UCT), Assoc Prof Mike Levin (Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital, Department of Paediatrics, UCT), Prof Mohamed Jeebhay (Department of Public Health & Family Medicine, UCT), Prof Michelle Epstein (Medical Universy of Vienna), Assistant Prof Hong Moulton (Oregon State University, USA), Dr Abdul Sesay (MRC Unit, The Gambia at LSHTM).
Funding: Robert Bosch Stiftung (Germany), Medical Research Council SIR (South Africa) National Research Foundation Thuthuka (South Africa)
- Jermaine Khumalo, Frank Kirstein, Martyna Scibiorek, Sabelo Hadebe*, Frank Brombacher*. Therapeutic and prophylactic deletion of IL-4Rα-signaling ameliorates established ovalbumin induced allergic asthma (In review) *Corresponding author.
- Sabelo Hadebe*, Frank Brombacher and Gordon D. Brown: C-Type Lectin Receptors in Asthma. Frontiers in Immunology. 9. 733. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.00733 (2018). *Corresponding author.
- Sabelo Hadebe, Frank Kirstein, Kaat Fierens, Kong Chen, Rebecca Drummond, Simon Vautier, Sara Sajaniemi, Graeme Murray, David L. Williams, Pierre Redelinghuys, Todd A. Reinhart, Beth A. Fallert Junecko, Jay K. Kolls, Bart N. Lambrecht, Frank Brombacher and Gordon D. Brown: Microbial ligand costimulation drives neutrophilic steroid-refractory asthma. PLoS ONE 10(8): e0134219 (2015).
- Sabelo Hadebe, Frank Kirstein, Kaat Fierens, Graeme Murray, David L. Williams, Pierre Redelinghuys, Bart N. Lambrecht, Frank Brombacher and Gordon D. Brown: β-Glucan exacerbate allergic airway responses to common house dust mite allergen. Respiratory Research 17:35 DOI 10.1186/s12931-016-0352-5 (2016).
- Faro-Trindade I., Willment J. A., Kerrigan A. M., Redelinghuys P., Hadebe S., Reid D. M., Srinivasan N., Wainwright H., Lang D. M., Steele C., and Brown G. D.: Characterisation of Innate Fungal Recognition in the Lung. PLoS ONE. 7. e35675 (2012).